The plaza extends for a surface of nine thousand square meters within the historical fortressed city of Peschiera del Garda, such venetian walls were recently recognized for their historical significance and subsequently inserted into the UNESCO world heritage list. The plaza, strongly characterized by the presence of a military heritage of exceptional value, is the largest open space within the city’s walls and was used for the training of military troops, for this reason it claims its name as “Piazza d’Armi” (Armory Plaza).
The response to the functional program requirements of distinguishing a clear environment intended for parking spaces and an environment closely connected to the residential tissue of the historical city center was resolved through the introduction of a subtle edge of stone that retraces the ancient trajectory of the 1614 dock. This trajectory line defined by trachite zovonite stone, varies along its progression; from horizontal markings on the ground it rises to form seating, it bends to allows passing, it continues to creating railings and returns indefinitely to fuse together with the paving.
Architects, authors: CLAB architettura, Circle Lab-Federico Signorelli
Name of the photographer: Davide Pretto
Client: Municipality of Peschiera del Garda
Location: Peschiera del Garda (VR), Italy
Completion year: 2017
Area (m2): 9000 mq